Saturday 4 May 2013

Darla cage tour May 2013

I mentioned doing a cage tour of Darla's cage a while back now... so here it is!


Here it is. It is still the 62 litre Crystal storage box from Wilkinson's, external dimensions 79.5 by 39.5 cm, 25cm tall. On the left he has his little house which he stores his food in, a bendy bridge up to the roof, and his sand bath with a wicker teepee over it.

 In the middle he has his wooden swing thing and a tube leading under his platform. You can also see his T-shaped alfalfa tube.


Then we have his platform, made by the lovely woman who also let me adopt Winter and Rocco! It's made from an Ikea magazine rack, and there's a detailed thread about her making them over here on one of the hamster forums I go on. On the platform he has his flying saucer, a hedgehog shaped antos dog chew and a strawberry wooden chew. His T-shaped alfalfa log leads to his water bottle, and as you can see he likes sitting half in the log to drink.

He also nests under the platform.




And a bonus Darla pic!


7 comments:

  1. What an awesome looking cage he has! I love the little shelf. I've never seen hamster cages with shelves before here. Another hamster blog I follow has a cage kind of like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hamsters! I really like the design of your hamster cage with all the interesting toys for them to play with. Plastic hamster houses can make your hamster sweaty and their wee often eats the plastic so wood is a nice option. I used to give my hamster a new small cardboard box (such as an empty teabag box)every week and she would chew a door and windows in it. Then when I cleaned out her cage I would replace her house with a new clean one with some tissues in it and let her make her hamster alterations... Kept the cage smelling sweet too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not used a plastic house since I first got Darla for that very reason ;) Annie used to have a cardboard box house, but I prefer her to have a "proper" wooden one, and she doesn't seem bothered either way. My Robo pair don't have a house at all, they're happy nesting under their wheels!

      Delete
  3. Love it!!!! If I ever go to IKEA I want to do that shelf for all the hams! Such a clever DIY going around!!! Envious of all the wood toys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I love wooden hammie toys, everyone has them in this house!

      Delete
  4. Darla is so adorable!

    ReplyDelete